Renovation and extension Rijksmuseum Twenthe


Enschede, Netherlands, 1992–1996

The museum built in 1928 was traditionally divided into a series of rooms. The renovation of the museum structure entailed the introduction of extensive climate and technical installations, additional exhibition space, a new circulation system and entrance area. A multi-functional pavilion, positioned directly opposite the entrance, was added to the existing structure and the routing system was improved throughout the museum, lining up the openings to the different rooms and increasing the incidence of light. The large, new space for temporary exhibitions is obtained by roofing over one of the two courtyards. The second courtyard remained open and was landscaped by Lodewijk Baljon.

Client: Rijksgebouwendienst, Den Haag
Location: Lasondersingel 129, Enschede, the Netherlands
Building area: Existing 2.600m2 and addition 900 m2
Programme: Museum addition and renovation
Status/phase: Realized June 1996
Photography: Christian Richters


Ben van Berkel with Harrie Pappot, Joost Hovenier and Hugo Beschoor Plug, Pieter Koster, Peter Meier, Martin Visscher, Jan van Erven Doren, Serge Darding, Arjan van Ruyven

Landscape architect: Lodewijk Baljon, Amsterdam. Technical consultants: Ministry of Housing and Construction, Dept. Design and Technique, The Hague
Engineering and Consultancy: A.H. Wiecherinck, Enschede
Technical installations: Acoustic consultancy Peutz, Molenhoek
Building contractor: Punte, Enschede