Vreeland, Netherlands, 2004–2006The two bunkers are additions made in 1936 to the nineteenth century New Dutch Water line of defense; an 85km long protective garland of military objects combined with an intricate water management system which enabled the inundation of land in case of attack. For a number of years they have formed part of an estate that is slowly being developed as a mixture of high-end business and sporting facilities. Stables and polo fields form the core of the estate. The structure on top of the first bunker is intended as a business retreat. It consists of a single, large room with some elementary facilities. The seamless, stainless steel façade is orientated towards the polo field with its single window. A glass skylight enforces the smooth, car-like appearance of the structure.
Client: Mr. C. van Zadelhoff
Location: Vreeland, Netherlands
Building area: 80 m2
Programme: Tea house on bunker
Status/phase: Realization phase
Photography: Christian Richters
Ben van Berkel, Gerard Loozekoot with René Wysk, Job Mouwen and Marcel Buis, Thomas de Vries, Holger Hoffmann, Eric den Eerzamen, Joakim Kaminsky, Peter Irmscher, Daniel Kalani, Anika Voigt, Eric Coppolse, Stephan Albrecht, Nanang Santoso